Friday, September 18, 2020

First Line Friday Flash Fiction 18 September 2020

 I took a shortcut and copy-pasted my shares of today's First Line Friday stories with my comments from http://netherworldwritersguild.tumblr.com

Here is the First Line Friday link. 

https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2020/09/11/first-line-friday-september-11th-2020/

I’m in the Colorado-Wyoming-Nebraska tri-state area, and even out here the sky is smoky and the sun is red. We have some wildfires that have been burning, but we are also getting smoke from the West Coast fires.
We really need to get a generator in this house. We get high winds out here and last year the power got knocked out for a very cold and miserable day where we ate unheated refried beans right from the can.
I would not want to live in L.A. right now. My son and I had to move out of the Denver area because the cost of housing was so high. That’s how we ended up in Grover. I’m not sorry, I actually love it here. I don’t know how anyone affords housing in a big city at this point. The working class certainly can’t.
~Cie from Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost~

blackouts wildfires climate crisis economic crisis
 
 
cybermax
 superheroesincolor

Charlie Hernández & the League of Shadows (2019)

Charlie Hernández has always been proud of his Latin American heritage. He loves the culture, the art, and especially the myths. Thanks to his abuela’s stories, Charlie possesses an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the monsters and ghouls who have spent the last five hundred years haunting the imaginations of children all across the Iberian Peninsula, as well as Central and South America. And even though his grandmother sometimes hinted that the tales might be more than mere myth, Charlie’s always been a pragmatist. Even barely out of diapers, he knew the stories were just make-believe—nothing more than intricately woven fables meant to keep little kids from misbehaving.

But when Charlie begins to experience freaky bodily manifestations—ones all too similar to those described by his grandma in his favorite legend—he is suddenly swept up in a world where the mythical beings he’s spent his entire life hearing about seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Hispanic folklore and into his life. And even stranger, they seem to know more about him than he knows about himself.

Soon, Charlie finds himself in the middle of an ancient battle between La Liga, a secret society of legendary mythological beings sworn to protect the Land of the Living, and La Mano Peluda (a.k.a. the Hairy Hand), a cabal of evil spirits determined to rule mankind. 

by Ryan Calejo

Get it now here

Ryan Calejo is the author of the Charlie Hernández series. He was born and raised in south Florida, where he graduated from the University of Miami with a BA. He teaches swimming to elementary school students, chess to middle school students, and writing to high school students. Having been born into a family of immigrants and growing up in the so-called “Capital of Latin America,” Ryan knows the importance of diversity in our communities and is passionate about writing books that children of all ethnicities can relate to.

[SuperheroesInColor faceb / instag / twitter / tumblr / pinterest / support ]  

Source: superheroesincolor
youth fiction latino fiction

i enjoyed reading this account although I’m quite sure it was not fun to live through it. Back in 2013 when the 100-year flood hit Boulder, I was working in a retirement community. I shouldn’t have gone into work but I didn’t want to let my co-workers down. I think I was in shock after my car was slammed into by a huge wave coming over a bridge where normally there wasn’t even any water below. I had a routine of working out in the therapy pool, and I went in and did that as usual even though there was chaos all around.
As I was working out, I heard the transformer blow outside the therapy pool area and the room went dark. I went in and showered and dressed for work in the dark locker room.
I’m glad the power came back on. Being without power sucks.

nonfiction
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.