Friday, October 11, 2024

Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge: The Dark Side of the Pussycat Dolls


As an ugly, bullied teenager, I envied entertainers and tried to model myself after them. I was in my mid-thirties when I first heard of the Pussycat Dolls. While I was beyond the stage of trying to model myself after entertainers, I was extremely envious of them. Nicole Scherzinger is one of those women who makes a plump, plain-faced schlub like me have mental breakdowns because I know I can never possess a fraction of her beauty and charisma.

It turns out that things were not as glamorous for these gals as they appeared. Nicole secretly suffered from low self-esteem and had issues with self-harm. None of the ladies were making bank. Like many entertainers, they had to foot the bill for their own tours, and they were expected to keep up appearances even if they could hardly afford to feed themselves. 

Over time, I’ve come to have sympathy for entertainers like the Pussycat Dolls. They had very little control over their lives. They had to stick to a grueling tour and appearance schedule and were expected to look and act a certain way at all times. The music industry is notorious for chewing up and spitting out its performers. If one of them falls, it’s on to the next shiny new thing. 

The entertainment industry is filled with stranger than fiction truths and fraught with real-life peril. It’s erroneous to envy someone for being conventionally attractive. A pretty face can hide an ugly reality.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~




No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.