Friday, October 18, 2024

Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge 2024: Almost Golden


Fair warning that the video quality is complete dog shit. I couldn't find a better copy.

Jessica Savitch was a charismatic anchorwoman who struggled with drug and alcohol addiction. She also fought to be taken seriously as a woman in an old boys' club. Her recent death during the year I graduated from high school last year was tragic.

Just joking. I graduated from high school in 1983. 

Jessica wanted to bring light to issues affecting women, such as childbirth, sexual assault, and being female in predominantly male professions such as law enforcement. She worked hard to learn as much as possible about the topics she covered. 

Despite her physical attractiveness, Jessica wasn't lucky in love. Her first marriage ended in divorce. Her second husband, who also had addiction issues, committed suicide. She was physically and emotionally abused by one of her boyfriends. 

Jessica was only 36 years old at the time of her passing. She died in an auto accident along with her friend Martin Fischbein, vice president of the New York Post. It was raining, and Fischbein lost control of the car, which landed upside down in a canal after a fifteen-foot drop. The vehicle sunk into the muck, trapping the car's occupants inside. 

Jessica was posthumously inducted into the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia Hall of Fame in 2006.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.