Friday, October 20, 2023

RIP Challenge 2023 Day 20: Phantom

 


https://amzn.to/3QvwwL7

R

Ornery Owl's Rating:

🌟🌟🌟🌟

Mini Review:

It's a good thing I don't let Rotten Tomatoes, or any other review site, tell me what I should and shouldn't watch. This military thriller was a critical failure, but I found it thoughtful and thought-provoking. Ed Harris is excellent in the role of Dmitri Zubov, a Soviet submarine captain sent on one final voyage before retirement. Zubov is a troubled alcoholic who suffers from seizures brought on by a head injury sustained during a mission where he lost several crew members.

The sub's mission is hijacked by a group of rogue KGB agents led by the menacing Bruni, skillfully portrayed by David Duchovny. These fanatics hope to trigger a nuclear exchange between the United States and China by altering the sub's acoustic signature to make it appear to be a Chinese vessel and firing a nuclear missile at the American naval fleet in Midway. 

Zubov and those loyal to him are imprisoned and must escape and prevent Bruni and his colleagues from starting World War III.

Perhaps the script has its imperfections, but the cinematography and performances are top-notch. If you enjoy military thrillers, I think this movie is a wise choice.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~

Free use image by Ivan Yanev on Pixabay
Ornery Owl: Reviewing popcorn and movies since 2019.
(Hasn't actually written any popcorn review yet but thinks it's time to start.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.