Tuesday, October 17, 2023

RIP Challenge 2023 Day 17: By Dawn's Early Light

 



TV 16+

Ornery Owl's Rating
🌟🌟🌟🌟

Mini Review

This is an overall excellent late Cold War cautionary tale depicting the potential for nuclear devastation fueled by misunderstandings. I knocked a star off my rating because I couldn't give a tin shit about the romantic drama between Major Cassidy, played by Powers Boothe, and Captain Moreau, played by Rebecca de Mornay. This unnecessary subplot didn't appear in the book the movie is based on. 

I was much more interested in the dynamic between General Alice (James Earl Jones) and the President, played by Martin Landau. These characters were ready to make the necessary sacrifices to prevent World War III while Colonel Fargo and the Secretary of the Interior were chomping at the bit to light the fuse. Rip Torn gives an excellent performance as the war-mongering Colonel Fargo and Darren McGavin is superb as the easily manipulated Secretary of the Interior put in power when the President is presumed dead.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~

Image by Ivan Yanev from Pixabay

Ornery Owl is ready to command the Pie-Throwing Battalion against the Water Balloon Tossers and Paint Ball Squad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.